Utility Services is a governance model of ensuring all solutions implemented within an IT organization meet the traditional criteria of customer sign-off requirements, solution design and testing, and release into the environment. It establishes and enforces necessary customer communication checkpoints via a series of documentable and repeatable processes and procedures. It ensures IT goals align with business needs and initiatives through a consolidated resource management interface to manage work-loads and enable resource forecasting. And finally, it streamlines standard requests by automating approvals, traceable milestones, requester communication and hand-offs as appropriate.
Why Utility Services?
The big question still remains. Why implement Utility Services? You already seem to be getting the job done. Sure, your people are overworked and under-appreciated, but they still show up for work each day, don’t they? Why rock the boat, change the way of doing things and suffer through the cultural shock of more efficient operations?
For those companies where we helped them implement Utility Services, here is what they report:
- Utility Services enables organizations both small and large to best utilize their money and people.
- Utility Services reinforces ITIL good practices by building the underlying philosophy into the systems that IT departments live by.
- Utility Services can be implemented in a relatively short period of time, enabling “quick wins” for management and IT workforce stakeholders.
- Utility Services continues to evolve with your IT department so it becomes more transparent and easier to adapt to business initiatives.
- Utility Services takes the mystery out of implementation status.
- Utility Services helps align the infrastructure with business goals, and escalates issues before they become problems.
- Utility Services enables purchasing departments to more accurately forecast spending schedules and empowers them to negotiate better pricing and support from vendors, be it hardware or services.
- Utility Services allows more effective time management and prioritization of your IT department’s time and money.
Fulfilling business requests takes up much of IT’s daily time. Inefficient methodologies erode the very infrastructure and people required to keep the business going. Untraceable changes and updates introduce instability into an already overly complex and vital system to the business. Personal agendas and priorities drive the changes without considering the benefit or detriment to the business. IT staff, desiring to do a good job and meet the needs, work at full speed but seem to fall short at the end of the day.
Utility Services takes the inefficiencies, the uncertainties, the liabilities and the insecurities out of IT Request Fulfillment. By funneling requests through an automated and organized process, duplication of effort is eliminated, overspending on materials is slashed, workloads can be adjusted to align with business needs, personal agendas can be removed and priorities are established to truly meet the business’ highest priorities for the greatest gain.
We have seen companies transformed saving millions of dollar annually on purchases alone. IT efficiency increased dramatically and the stability of the infrastructure reached desired service levels without significantly increasing costs. The implementation and definition of Utility Services takes a chaotic methodology, structures it and drives it for the maximum utility to the business.
Copyrighted by American Eagle Group. All rights reserved. Use of term permitted with credit citation to respective copyright holders.